When I started this project a few weeks ago, one of my first goals was to put my own stamp on things – I think the recent respray in Porsche’s Acid Green has certainly done just that. So, with that box ticked, I was free to crack on with reassembly this month. First up were a few small jobs; simple stuff like unmasking the carbon roof and re-fitting the carbon bonnet vents and carbon rear spoiler. These little jobs may only take a couple of minutes to complete, but they make a huge, and instant, difference to how the car looks.

These were followed swiftly by other straightforward, un-sexy jobs like re-fitting the front and rear glass, polycarb side windows, and rear lights. It’s not as exciting as, say, fitting an engine or a new turbo, but they are all important jobs that need doing. In fact, they’re quite satisfying as you can really start to see the car coming together quite quickly.

 

With those bits out of the way, I then turned my attention to the inside of the car, and in particular one area of car building that most people dread – wiring. It’s not my favourite job either but thankfully the Escort already runs quite a reduced wiring loom ­– there’s no electric windows, and the door mirrors are manual ones, for example. So, it was just a case of hooking up things like the lights, wipers, and heater controls. Then I could reinstall the flocked dash and carbon door cards. The real wiring issues will come later when I wire up the Stack dash to the new ECU and all the associated sensors, but that’s for another day.

Speaking of which, by the time you read this I hope to have the running gear all fitted up and the car rolling on its own wheels again. And then I can look to fit the engine and gearbox. Oh, that reminds me, best get building that old YB…