Last month I introduced my latest project car, a track-spec Escort Cosworth that boasts an interesting past as an ex-Time Attack competitor. But I didn’t want people to keep referring to the car as ‘Dave Jackson’s old EsCos’ and I was keen to put my own stamp on things. Of course, the engine spec and various other updates will be added during the rebuild, but one way to really make the car stand out for its new incarnation is to completely change the colour. So that was the first thing on my agenda.

Work started immediately with a full strip down to a bare shell. The car was already without an engine and gearbox or seats, so it was halfway there to begin with. So I promptly took everything else out of the engine bay and interior, and removed all the glass. The only thing I left in was the pedal box and steering column, as these could be easily masked up for painting, but everything else was removed.

I then called on the help of my good mate Dave Pritchard to paint the shell. We both got stuck in and prep’d everything before Dave gave the engine bay, inside, and body a nice new coat of the new colour.

When it came to choosing the new shade for the car I had a few options to choose from. Should I go with a traditional Escort Cossie colour? Should I go for a race-inspired colour scheme? Or should I go a for subtle modern Ford colour?

Well, as you can see from the photos, I chose none of the above! I wanted something that would be seen. Something I’ve not seen on a Ford before, especially not on a EsCos. And something that would get noticed. I think Porsche’s eye-catching Acid Green does the trick, don’t you?!

After Dave had painted the outside, we wheeled the car out of the paint booth (being a self-employed mechanic by trade means I’m lucky enough to have most tools I need for a project like this already on-site) and back round to the workshop where I could get it on the two-poster ramp.

Here I could remove the front and rear suspension cradles, clean up the underside, and make a couple of minor repairs the floor needed. The first was a small patch of welding, and the second was to repair the chassis brace tubing that someone had previously cut. The shell features two pieces of tubing (similar to roll cage material) running the length of the underside of the shell. They connect the front and rear chassis legs to help stiffen up the whole shell and prevent any unwanted flex during hard cornering. Only, one of them had a chunk missing to allow for a side-exit exhaust to be used!

With those repairs made I then spent hours chipping off what seemed like tonnes of black crap, before I finally got the whole thing ready for paint – again in bright Acid Green.

With the shell now fully painted it gives me a nice clean base to start from, and the next job will be putting the wiring loom, dash, and glass back in. Catch next month’s update to see how the build progresses…